"Our Mission is to love the Lord, love others,
proclaim the good news, and make disciples as we go."
The remarkable history of Greater Second Baptist Church dates back to the year 1924. The church’s original name was Second Baptist Church, and it was established under the pastoral guidance of Rev. Gathright, who led the flock until his death in 1935. The church was located at 21st & Madison Streets. In 1935 Rev. Knox was called to pastor, and he served from 1935 until 1936. Under his leadership, the Senior Usher Board was organized in 1935. Sis. Bernice Fountain was elected the first president. more history...
First Visit? Have Questions!
What style of preaching can I expect?
Bible-based, relevant, contemporary, practical and easy to understand. We boldly proclaim the unadulterated word of God!
What is available for my child?
Children's programming is provided for birth through 5th grade at 9:30 and 11:00 services. Please arrive 15 minutes early to check your child into their classrooms. 6th-12th grade programs are available at the 11:00 service. Learn more about our Children's Ministry
What do you have for adults?
We have a full range of opportunities for adults at all stages of life to meet together on Sundays and throughout the week. to socialize, study God’s word, pray and serve together — Community Groups, Men’s and Women’s groups, Young Adults, Married Couples and Senior Adults, to name just a few. Learn more about all the Ministries we offer.
What should I wear?
We are a casual environment and welcome everyone to come as they are. On Sundays you'll find most men and women fully dressed up. While some may be fully casually dressed. Whatever the dresswear, we'll be glad to see you!
Our Core Values
1) We believe that Jesus is the head of the church, therefore, He tells Greater Second what to do, we do not tell Him.
2) We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and it is our sole authority for our faith and practice.
3) We believe the only way of salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
4) We are committed to unity, and believe the world knows we belong to Jesus because of the way we love each other.
5) We want to be and do all that we do as a church for the glory of God.
The Bible - We believe the scriptures teach there is one, and only one, living and true God, an infinite, intelligent Spirit whose name is Jehovah, The maker and Supreme Ruler of heaven and earth; inexpressibly glorious in holiness, and worthy of all possible honor confidence and love; that in the unity of the Godhead there are three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; equal in every divine perfection and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption. (John 4:24; Psalm 147:5; Psalms 83:18; Hebrews 3:4; Romans 1:20; Ephesians 4:6)
2. We believe that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant word of God; therefore the scripture is our final authority. (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21)
3. We believe that Jesus Christ is God and the Lord of our lives. We believe in the preexistence of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, sinless life and sacrificial death, glorious ressurection, and ascension into heaven and the second coming. (John 2:1; Hebrews 4:14-16; John 1:1; Luke 1:35; 1 Cor 3:4; Acts 1:9-11; 1 Thess. 4:15-17; Romans 4:24; Luke 24:24,34
4. We believe that salvation is given to us by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 2:8; 1 Peter 1:10)
5. We believe in the Eternal Security of believers. (John 10:28; 1 John 5:11)
6. We believe that prayer is the means by which we are empowered to do the work of the Lord. (John 15:7)
7. We believe that the Christian life is the beginning of a journey of continuous growth in Christ's likeness (Discipleship), (Luke 9:23)
8. We believe that every believer has been called to bear witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. (Acts 1:8)
9. We believe in the priesthood of believers, and that every believer is a minister. Therefore, every member should work in ministry according to there spiritual gifts. (1 Peter 2:9)
10. We believe that the family was designed by God and that God's design for marriage is male and female union. (Genesis 1:27-28; Romans 1:24-32)
Finding your way in any new enviroment can be intimidating. That is why we have developed the New Membership Ministry with you in mind.